The Raynhams

East, South & West Raynham Village

East Raynham is a village in the county of Norfolk. It is located on the A1065 some 4 miles (6.4 km) south-west of Fakenham. The River Wensum flows close to the village. The village can trace its origins back and before the Domesday survey of 1086 when it was known as Reinham. 

South Raynham is home to the Church of St Martin which dates back to the 14th century and is built from flint and freestone dressings in the Decorated and Perpendicular style of architecture. The most outstanding feature of the church is the mensa, or altar stone. Pevsner believed it might be 12th century, but may be older.

West Raynham is the largest village on the Raynham estate, the handsome estate village right at its heart.

 

The former Royal Air Force stationRAF West Raynham, is located 2 miles west of the village. It opened in 1939 and closed in 1994.

Raynham Hall is a country house in West Raynham. For nearly 400 years it has been the seat of the Townshend family. The hall gave its name to the five estate villages, known as The Raynhams, and is reported to be haunted, providing the scene for possibly the most famous ghost photo of all time, the famous Brown Lady descending the staircase. However, the ghost has been allegedly seen infrequently since the photo was taken. Its most famous resident was Charles Townshend, 2nd Viscount Townshend (1674–1738), leader in the House of Lords.

Raynham Parish Council

 

Jodie Bond (Parish Clerk) - 07703 464409 / 01328 853031

 

raynhampc@gmail.com

52 Queens Road

Fakenham

Norfolk
NR21​​ 8DB