Services & Amenities
There is a village bar which is currently open on Fridays from 7pm-10.30 pm.
The hall is available for private hire.
For hall enquiries or bookings please contact Debbie Lamont (Secretary) or David Stubs (Chairperson) at email@example.com for more information.
St Mary's Church
St Mary's, East Raynham stands in the park of Raynham Hall, the home for many years of the Townshend family. The 2nd Viscount, "Turnip" Townshend is buried here. The church was rebuilt in 1868, but retains the fine 15th century Easter Sepulchre. There is an excellent ring of eight bells restored and augmented in 2002.
Raynham Hall, East Raynham has for nearly 400 years, been the seat of the Townshend family. The hall gave its name to the five estate villages, known as The Raynhams, and is reported to be haunted, providing the scene for possibly the most famous ghost photo of all time, the famous Brown Lady descending the staircase. However, the ghost has been allegedly seen infrequently since the photo was taken. Its most famous resident was Charles Townshend, 2nd Viscount Townshend (1674–1738), leader in the House of Lords.
Parish councils have the right to make comments on planning applications affecting their area.
The planning authority (normally NNDC, although occasionally it can be the County Council) allows a parish council 21 days to respond to a planning application. The application will be considered by the parish council at the next council meeting and will feature on the agenda as an item to be discussed. Members of the public are welcome to attend meetings and may speak during the public participation item on the agenda to give their views on a planning application. They are also encouraged to provide their own comments on NNDC's Planning pages.
If there is not a meeting within the 21 days, the parish council is usually able to extend the time-limit. Whilst the overall decision is the planning authority’s, the parish council’s local knowledge, combined with an understanding of the planning process, means that its views are more likely to be heard by the planning authority, so long as the parish council provides valid planning ‘material considerations’.
The parish council’s comments can be found on NNDC’s planning pages.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Clerk.
RAF West Raynham
Royal Air Force West Raynham or more simply RAF West Raynham is a former Royal Air Force station located 2 miles (3.2 km) west of West Raynham, Norfolk and 5.5 miles (8.9 km) southwest of Fakenham.
The airfield opened during May 1939 and was used by RAF Bomber Command during the Second World War with the loss of 86 aircraft.
The station closed in 1994, though the Ministry of Defence (MoD) retained it as a strategic reserve. Having lain derelict since closure, the station was deemed surplus to requirements by the MoD in 2004 and two years later was sold.
Planning permission was granted for the installation of a 49.9 mW solar farm, together with plant housing and a perimeter fence.
Outdoor Play Area
There is an outdoor children's play area with zip wire, swings and climbing equipment in West Raynham.
We also have outdoor gym equipment including an air walker and exercise bike.
St Margaret's Church
This church was first built in the 11th century and extended in the 14th century. It fell into ruin from the 1720's when the roof lead was removed to help pay for the restoration of St. Mary's, East Raynham. The ruin has now been consolidated and the church is now back in occasional use.